Host site location model in STAR
One of the aspects about MAGDA integration is to fit the
host-site-location scheme as defined in MAGDA.
In MAGDA, an host is a machine or a group of machines. A site is a
host plus a protocol on how to access data. A location is a path leading
to a directory managed by MAGDA. A file in magda is identified by
something like a URI, but slightly different. A URI, in fact, would be:
while MAGDA has:
A host can span from a single machine (atlastw.phy.bnl.gov - Wenaus
laptop) to a much bigger entity (atlas.cern.ch - CERN ATLAS). A site
tells how you access a host. For example, through AFS (cernatlasafs -
AFS site for atlas.cern.ch host) or HPSS (cernhpss - HPSS site for
Proposal for STAR
We can divide STAR in the following hosts:
- star.bnl.gov - STAR at BNL
- star.lbl.gov - STAR at Berkley
- star.xxxx.yyy - STAR at a different institution
Now we analyze the BNL host. The other hosts will be similar
- starrcfnfs - The NFS space available at RCF.
- starafs - The AFS space available at RCF.
- starrcfhpss -The HPSS space available at RCF.
- starrcfrcas - The local disks available on the RCAS farm at RCF.
For these sites, we can define locations, such as:
- starrcfhpss:/home/starreco/reco/ - prime location for STAR
reconstructed data (corresponds to /home/starreco/reco/ directory in
HPSS at BNL)
- starrcfnfs:/star/data15/reco/ - a replica location for STAR
reconstructed data on NFS (corresponds to /star/data15/reco/ directory
on NFS at BNL)
- starrcfnfs:/star/data21/reco/ - another replica location for STAR
reconstructed data (corresponds to /star/data21/reco/ directory on NFS
- starrcfrcas:/rcas6080/home/starreco/reco/ - a replica location for
STAR reconstructed data, but on the local disk of node rcas6080
(corresponds to /home/starreco/reco directory in the local disk of
rcas6080.rcf.bnl.gov). We can even avoid the repetition of rcas and
have just starrcfrcas:/6080/home/starreco/reco/
- starrcfrcas:/rcas6081/home/starreco/reco/ - another replica
location for STAR reconstructed data on the local disk (corresponds to
/home/starreco/reco directory in the local disk of
Gabriele Carcassi - page was last modified