TOFp System Procedure:|
This is the procedure to re-install an entire pVPD (structure, PMT Assys, electronics)
to its operational mounting location. This procedure is the same for the installation of the
East or West pVPD, as the two are identical.
| Related Documentation:|
- Notification & Approval of TOFp Group
- Notification & Approval of STAR Operations Group
- Two (2) People to perform this work
- STAR Area Manlift Training for at least one worker.
- STAR Magnetic Field is OFF
- CTB High Voltage Supply is OFF.
- Large Ladder
- Carpenters Square
- Several wrenches for 1/4-20 hex bolts
- Several wrenches for XX-XX hex bolts
- 6-32 Nutdriver
- Cable tie snips
- Make sure STAR Magnet is OFF.
- Make sure CTB HV Supply is OFF.
- Position manlift to face due south(north) at the steel floor rails
on the East(West) side of STAR for access to East(West) pVPD.
- Position Large Ladder in front of manlift, to allow access to
side of pVPD opposite to that accessible from manlift. Use ropes
to secure ladder to some solid object nearby for support.
- One worker rises to height of pVPD in manlift, and extends floor to
within ~4" of pVPD. Insure the manlift floor cannor rock or sway
by enough that the manlift railings strike the pVPD, I-beam, or
- The other worker climbs the ladder.
- Grab Base Plate and from its secure location on the floor of the
manlift. Remember that there are fragile electronics in the FEE box.
- While being spotted by the worker on the ladder, hold the base plate up against
the bottom of the I-beam, and rotate the four clamps so that each
registers, squarely w.r.t. the Base Plate, on the lip of the I-beam. The Base Plate
can now rest without active support, although one worker should still spot
the Base Plate while the other continues the installation.
- Slide the Base Plate along the I-beam so that the straight-through hole
through the I-beam and the straight-through hole in the Base Plate are perfectly
- While one worker is holding the Base Plate up and against the I-beam while
the bolt hole is aligned, the other worker installs and mostly-tightens
the single (1) 1/4-20 hex bolt that passes through the I-beam and
- Readjust the squarenes of the four I-beam clamps if necessary.
- Recheck the squareness of the Base Plate w.r.t. the I-beam using the Carpenters
- For each of the four I-beam Clamp Bolts, adjust clamp and bolt position
so that bolt is as vertical as possible. Use the XX-XX wrenches to tighten
each of these bolts. By turning the wrench slowly it is possible to
feel the tension at which the bolt "locks". Keep tightening these
bolts until each is locked, tighten in steps where all four bolts are
done to the same level on alternating corners of the structure.
UPPER STRUCTURE INSTALLATION:
- While being spotted by the worker on the ladder, Lower the Upper
Structure straight down and rest it on the Base Plate.
- Recheck that the Upper Structure is square and aligned with the
Base Plate. Recheck that the Upper Structure is pointing the right way -
the smooth face of the pVPD Detector Assemblies should be facing towards
the target, and the sides w/ the SHV and BNC connectors face the balconies.
- Use wrenches to reinstall the Eight (8) 1/4-20 Hex Bolts that
pass vertically through the Base Plate and the angle brackets on the Delrin Front
and Back Plates. This locks the Upper Structure to the Base Plate.
- Locate the 4 o'clock Detector Assembly, and the Four (4) 1/4-20 hex bolts
that pass through the Delrin Front and Back Plates and through the
aluminum Boat. The 4 o'clock pVPD Detector Assembly is hose-clamped to this
Boat - do *not* loosen or remove these hose clamps.
- Grasp the Detector Assembly, lightly loosen these four bolts, and
slide the Boat/Det Assy inwards along the slots in the Delrin Front
and Back Plates. Adjust the Boat position at both ends so that
the pVPD Detector Assembly is ~1/8" radial distance from the beam pipe,
and the long axis of the pVPD Detector Assembly is parallel with the
pipe, judged using their outer surfaces.
- Retighten the four bolts so that this Boat is securely held by the
Delrin plates again.
- Repeat previous three steps on the 8 o'clock Detector Assembly.
- Reinstall the BNC cables (Black jacket) to the rear of each detector assembly.
- Reinstall the SHV cables (Red jacket) to the rear of each detector assembly.
- Reinstall the Threshold Bus Cable to its feedthough connection at FEE box.
- Reinstall the LV Bus Cable to its feedthough connection at FEE box.
- Carefully reinstall the 6 signal cables to the 'rear' face of FEE box. Please
note the label on this face of the FEE box, which indicates which signal
cables go into the specific outputs of the FEE Board.
- Use 6-32 nutdriver
to open FEE box (from below). Reinstall Thermocouple (small brown 2conductor) wire
into open air inside FEE box. Carefully cable tie as appropriate to insure
the thermocouple end does not and can not touch anything but air inside the FEE box.
- Reinstall cable ties to professionally organize the cables onto
the Upper Structure.
- Lower manlift, unlash Ladder, and remove each in appropriate locations.
- Notify STAR Operations that job is complete.
- Contact TOFp Control to inform that
procedure is complete, and with any end-of-procedure comments that are necessary.
Was this procedure successful? Is this documenation understandable and complete?