Up: TPC testing
Data-taking with a Single DAQ Crate
As of May 1999, DAQ supported readout of one crate of 12 receiver
boards --- one "hypersector" or two TPC (super)sectors. By mid-June
1999, DAQ had expanded to 3 crates of receiver boards and an
event-builder crate. Only the one-crate system is discussed here;
we'll call it "DeciDAQ" for now.
DeciDAQ is capable of calculating pedestal means and rms's, then
subtracting those pedestals in subsequent runs. Zero-suppression
is not currently possible in DeciDAQ.
- DAQ data is written to /data/scratch/ on daqman.
- The tpm_daq pad monitor can be used to display the data.
To be concrete, consider taking data from Sectors 9 and 10; one must
connect to tsb09, if the connection is free:
It's not uncommon to have to power-cycle the DAQ crate or to reboot
the processor (^x from the tsb09 window), but the "normal"
procedure here assumes that the relevant FEE boards are powered and that
both they and DAQ are operating properly. In this case:
- tsb09> tonkoUseSci=0 (to disable use of the SCI bus)
- tsb09> tonkoUseEvb=0 (to disable use of the Event Builder)
- tsb09> tonkoFormatFlags=flags
where flags is
- 0xF000000A (if raw data is wanted) or
- 0xF0000300 (ped means and rms's only)
- tsb09> daqSendConfig ped_mode,gain_mode,
0 disables pedestal subtraction
1 or other non-zero value enables pedestal subtraction
0 (only allowed value now)
0: normal data run
1: calculate pedestals
Bits 2^0 to 2^11 correspond to receiver boards 1 to 12, counted from
the left side of the crate
- tsb09> daqRunStart "filename" (to start a run,
writing data to /data/scratch/filename).
Replace "filename" by 0 to suppress data output.
- Triggers are then generated by Trigger (documented elsewhere);
DAQ handles the data as it comes. Do it slowly, as if the
busies were non-functional (they may be, at the moment).
- tsb09> daqRunStop to stop a run
Running the tpm_daq Pad Monitor to examine data:
(daqman) % cd /data/scratch
(daqman) % tpm_daq &
In the control window:
- Select Input Sources;
under Files, supply the DataFile name and hit CR
- Unselect Input Sources.
- Click Get Event
- Have fun!!!
For more information on:
- DeciDAQ: Contact
- Mike Levine: 516-344-4575 (BNL 510A) or Levine@lbl.gov
- Tonko Ljubicic: 516-344-7346 (BNL 510A) or Tonko@bnl.gov
- Jeff Landgraf: 516-344-7967 (BNL) or email@example.com
tpm: see the
release notes and start-up instructions;
- Eric Hjort: 510-486-6876 (LBNL) or ELHjort@lbl.gov